Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Foray into Poetastry

The Path of Life
God above, so high and mighty,
made the worlds with just a word.
The raindrops that fall like tiny prisms,
scatter light across a brooding world.
The blade of grass, so simple, yet so intricate,
springs from a tiny seed.
The lily tall and slender, whose petals
wear the kiss of that Almighty painter.
The thunder fights it's battle high,
and lightning sparks throughout the sky.
The ocean waves so huge, unyielding,
crash upon forgotten shores.
The snowflake, tiny yet unique,
hexagonal symmetry.
The mountains, tall, reach up to You,
an arrow pointing to my God.



The God who created all of this,
loved His doubting world enough
To send His Son - His only Son
to die for me - a worm.
He came down completely man
yet with the face of God.
He struggled with all of my temptations,
yet ever still preserved Himself,
Perfect for my sin sacrifice -
the death that gives me life.
And still I doubt through all of this,
that He is all I need.
I fill my life with useless things
that cannot fill the void.
I look for understanding everywhere else
while silent still He waits for me.
Yet when I try to cover
the place that's His within my heart,
He never takes that rejection
and, like me, walks away in hurt.
Patiently, He waits for me,
to find the trowel and dig.
When stripped of all these useless things,
I see how little of Him I have.


He bids me come and drink more deep,
the water of life cascading down -
The never ending waterfall
of rejuvenating JOY.
All He asks is one request,
that I desire Him alone.
Is this too much for God to ask?
Unequivocally, no.
'Tis God's truth that I desire,
by His grace I'm finally trading
The love of this cheap substitute
for Something much more grand.
Give me your joy - it's all I want.
Let me in joy bubble over.
Let every person that I meet,
be sprinkled with it's overflow.
Let me show them what they seek.
They seek your face, oh God.


"Thou wilt show me the path of life;
in thy presence is fullness of joy;
At thy right hand are pleasures evermore."
-Psalm 16:11


The light He sheds illuminates
the paltry shreds of what I loved.
It shows a better, grander thing
than any that I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment