Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm now a city commuter...

Despite dire predictions to the contrary, I don't hate my commute.  Yet.  "Far" is such a relative term.  For instance, my 14 mile commute to work doesn't seem like that far to me.  In Seattle however, if you can't walk or bike to work, you have "far" to commute.  Granted, Seattle has a lot of avid bikers who would bike further than I.  Maybe I'd bike more if I had a bike.  But plans are in the works to rectify that situation since I found Cycle Recycle next door the the UW Police headquarters.  The drive to work takes about 15-20 mins in the morning.  Coming home, however takes 50 mins.  It's not so bad really.  Unless you have somewhere that you have to be. It's actually quite interesting to watch the people around you.

There's the mid-20s lady talking with her hands-free device and crying her eyes out.  Next I stop and sit beside a shiny old Cadillac containing an elderly couple.  The wife reaches over and pats her hunch-backed husband on his hunched back and smiles adoringly at him.  In the other lane a middle-aged woman is touching up her mascara and changing her shirt (she WAS wearing a tank-top underneath).  Then there's the guy who's jamming out to his R&B with his windows down and eating blueberry yogurt at the same time, the dude who opens his bottle of Coke and it explodes all over him to a chorus of obscenities that last until I finally get to move again.  All this time, I'm listening to the delightful array of radio stations available in the Puget Sound region and snacking on pistachios - the shelled ones of course that cost a fortune, but are so worth it - and slurp down some Propel flavored water from my favorite Nalgene.  So you see, it's not so bad to drive home averaging 3 mph half the way.   Life can always be worse.

Overall, I think I really like the hospital and am excited about working in a teaching-hospital environment.   I don't understand my benefit options at all, but I'm hoping to be enlightened shortly.  Parking at UW is super expensive though, so for that reason, I'd like to live within at least bus distance if not walking/biking distance.   Kudos to my manager and assistant manager who stayed late to see if I had any questions for her after my orientation.  She even came and found me!  Still confused about the whole payroll deal and how the nurses get paid a salary AND hourly premiums...??  Guess I'll figure it out in time.   God is good.  I'm very blessed.   And I only got lost once in the hospital.  My life is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment